Monday, December 13, 2004

Sosa - I hope this is just speculation

"The Cubs are looking to offload Sosa and are willing to pay most of his salary, so getting something back isn't the top order. Brad Wilkerson, heading to arbitration, might be the return."

That's from Will Carroll at the baseball Winter meetings.

I understand Bowden's fascination for Sosa. It is the perfect way to make a "big splash" and "get the fans attention." However, in baseball terms, this trade never makes sense.

Sosa - .253/.332/.517
Wilkerson - .250/.368/.490

Add in that Sosa costs craploads more than Wilkerson and is 9 years older and this trade idea is just stupid. Trading away your best young player for an old player who was worse in 2004 just doesn't make sense.

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Corey - what do you know about Jonathan Searles, RHP? The Cubs picked him up the AAA phase of the Rule 5 today.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word poster, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home